Club 55+ Activities and Events
Canton Club 55+ is located in the Parkview Room of Summit on the Park Community Center.
- Monthly Newsletter: features all of the activities, events and things taking place within Club 55+.
- Discover Brochure: all Canton Leisure Services programs, classes, events and services are included in the bi-annual Discover program brochure. Offerings are available for all ages and interests.
- Registration: program registration is available online and at the Summit on the Park front desk.
Additional Program Information
Many of our programs are offered at a low cost. Each program will have the registration fee made available to you in the Discover Brochure or by calling 734/394-5485.
- Cards & Games
- Health & Fitness
- Sewing and Crafts
- Special Events
- Wii Bowling Leagues
Canton adults, age 55+, can enjoy drop-in pool playing during Parkview hours. No reservation necessary. Some equipment is provided. Please register at the Club 55+ front desk. Space is limited.
- Dates/Times: Monday - Sunday 8:30 am - 7:00 pm
- Registration and Information: Club 55+ front desk or 734/394-5485
Club 55+ Bingo
Bingo takes place approximately one time per month and is sponsored by American House. This program is designed for individuals 55+ years. For more information or to register, please call 734/394-5485 or complete Online Regist
- January 18, 2017 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- February 15, 2017 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- April 19, 2017 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- May 17, 2017 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- July 19, 2017 2:30 - 3:30 pm
- August 16, 2017 2:30 - 3:30pm
|Duplicate Bridge||Mondays||6:15 pm|
|Open Cards||Tuesdays||12 pm|
|Open Bridge||Tuesdays||12 pm|
|Mexican Train||Thursdays||1 pm|
|Evening Cards||Thursdays||7 pm|
|Cards & Games||Saturday (3rd only)||11:00am|
- Beginner Yoga: Various Days and Times
- Gentle Yoga: Thursdays 9:30 am
- Fit 4 Life: Tuesdays & Fridays 10:30 am
- Tai Chi: Mondays 1 pm
- Zumba Gold with Toning: Wednesdays 10:30 am
- A Matter of Balance Workshop Series: This 8 week workshop meets once a week on Thursdays, from 11:00am - 1:00pm and is presented by The Senior Alliance. This program is designed to teach participants to: view falls as controllable, set goals for increasing activity, make changes to reduce fall risks at home and exercise strength and balance. For more information or to register, please call Club 55 734/394-5485 or online.
Dates: Thursdays, April 6 - May 25, 2017 (8 wks)
Registration Deadline: Thursday, April 5, 2017
- PATH ( Personal Action Toward Health) This 7 week workshop meets once a week, on Tuesdays, from 9:00am - 11:30am and is presented by The Senior Alliance. Learn how to: eat healthier, plan low-fat meals, read nutrition labels, manage stress, relaxation techniques and how to communicate effectively with family and health professionals. For more information or to register, please call Club 55 734/394-5485 or online.
Dates: Tuesdays, April 11 - May 23, 2017 (7 wks)
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
- Learn to Meditate: This 6 week workshop meets once a week, on Monday evenings from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm. Train yourself to become a positive, happy person through Heartfullness relaxation, rejuvenation and meditation techniques. For more information or to register, please call Club 55 734/394-5485 or online.
Dates: Mondays, April 17 - May 22, 2017 (6 wks)
Registration Deadline: Thursday, April 13, 2017
Enjoy a monthly cinematic feature with friends. Movies start at 1:00pm in the PDC room. Please bring a sweater with you in case the room is chilly. Snacks sponsored by Regency of Canton. Please register for a spot not later than the day before the movie.
March 8: The Secret Life of Pets
An animated comedy about a dog’s life as a favorite pet is turned upside down, when his owner brings home a sloppy mongrel named Duke. They have to put their quarrels behind when they find out that an adorable white bunny named Snowball is building an army of lost pets determined to take revenge.
April 5: Money Ball
Based on a true story, Moneyball is a movie for anybody who has ever dreamed of taking on the system. Brad Pitt stars as Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A's and the guy who assembles the team, who has an epiphany: all of baseball's conventional wisdom is wrong.
May 10: Sully
Tom Hanks stars in this thrilling portrait of heroic airline pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, re-enacting his incredible successful emergency landing of an Airbus A320 full of passengers on the Hudson River.
June 14: Brookleyn
BROOKLYN tells the profoundly moving story of Eilis Lacey (Saoirse Ronan), a young Irish immigrant navigating her way through 1950s Brooklyn. Lured by the promise of America, Eilis departs Ireland and the comfort of her mother's home for the shores of New York City. The initial shackles of homesickness quickly diminish as a fresh romance sweeps Eilis into the intoxicating charm of love. But soon, her new vivacity is disrupted by her past, and Eilis must choose between two countries and the lives that exist within.
Sewing and Crafts
Canton Leisure Services has many wonderful groups that meet to sew and complete crafts. These are great social opportunities and a chance to ask others for ideas.
- Afghan/Dishcloth Club: meets every Tuesday 9 am - 2 pm. Location: Summit on the Park
- Handcrafters: meets weekly on Thursdays 9:30 - 11:30 am
- It's In the Bag: meets on Tuesdays 12:30 - 3:30 pm the 4th Tuesday of each month. Location: Summit on the Park
- Little Stitches of Hope: will be meeting January 31 & May 9 from 9 am - 1pm
- Woodcarving: meets weekly on Tuesdays 9 - 11:15 am. Location: Summit on the Park
- St.Pat's Party- Wednesday, March 15 @ 12:30pm
Come dressed in green and join us for an afternoon of fabulous food and bingo. There will be a prize for the "Best Dressed in Green", so come dressed to impress. The menu will include: corn beef, bone-in honey roasted chicken, cabbage, steamed vegetables, tossed salad & desserts.Limited space available. Please register by March 8. Sponsored by Regency at Canton.
- Singles Mixer - Friday, March 24 from 6:30pm - 8:30pmWould you like to get out of the house and socialize while making new friends? Our Singles Social Mixer provides a casual and fun way to meet other singles age 55+. Join us for an evening of conversation and wine at Vintner’s Canton Winery on Friday, March 24, 2017. Come as an individual or bring a friend. Please register by Friday, March 17th. Limited Space available.
Fee: $15M/$17R/$22NR*Cost includes 13 tickets for 13 wine tastings and finger food.
- Mott Hospital Children/Baby Shower - Saturday, April 1 from 1 – 3 pm
Help us shower the children and babies being treated at CS Mott Children’s Hospital, with gifts. This day will include a lite lunch provided by the Kiwanis Club as well as a visit from a staff person from CS Mott Children’s Hospital of the University of Michigan. This is a wonderful way to help bring a smile to tiny patients, while having fun. Items of interest are: Legos, musical toys for toddlers, Crayola crayons and markers, Crayola Model Magic, and Play-Doh tools. Mott Children's Hospital is also registered at Target, ToysRus and Amazon. Please R.S.V.P with Club 55+ desk by March 27.
Fee: gift donation
- Tigers Opening Day at Club 55+ - Friday, April 7 @ 12pm
Come celebrate opening day with us. Festivities will start at noon, with games and your favourite baseball food. Then stay around to watch the first pitch at 1:10pm. Enjoy refreshments and come dressed in your favorite Tigers gear for our best dressed Tigers fan contest. Sponsored in part by Heartland.
- Spring Potluck - Wednesday, April 12 @ 1pm
Welcome Spring with a festive Easter themed Potluck. Bring your best homemade dish to share that will serve 8 or more people. Chicken, beverages and paper products will be provided. Please make your reservation by April 5 at the Canton Club 55+ desk or phone 734/394-5485.
- 8th Annual Jewelry and Purse Sale - Tuesday, May 2 & Wednesday, May 3
- Club 55+ Memorial Day - Wednesday, May 17
- National Adult Health & Fitness Day- Wednesday, May 31
- Liberty Fest Picnic- Thursday, June 15
Canton's Club 55+ has a well established Wii Bowling League. This group meets weekly
for some friendly competition, socialization and exercise.You can sign up as a team/individual or sub. Teams are made up of 4 participants.
- Meeting Dates: Wednesdays 10am & 11am/Thursdays 11am, 12:15pm & 1:15pm/ Fridays 10:30am
- Participation Fee: $5 Canton Residents / $7 Non-Residents
- Registration and Information: Club 55+ front desk 734/394-5485
- Next session starts: April 5 (registration by March 24)
Drop in and enjoy playing the fastest growing sport in North America. Pickleball is a mixture of Tennis & Badminton and is a great source of exercise. Before participating, please pre-register at the Club 55+ desk and fill out a medical waiver.
- Indoor Courts
- Outdoor Courts (Seasonal)
- Different levels of play (Novice, Intermediate & Advance)
- Drop in & League play
- Learn to Play Clincs
- Paddle borrowing program
Looking to get moving? Tennis is a wonderful way to enjoy the outdoors while exercising. Drop in programs run during the Spring/Summer/early Fall for ages 55+. Before participating, please pre-register at the Club 55+ desk and fill out a medical waiver.
- Outdoor courts at two locations (Griffin and Flodin Park)
- Different levels of play ( Recreational & Competitive)
- Tennis balls
Come and enjoy a match or two of drop-in volleyball. Participants can come as an individual, pair or a group. If there is more than enough participants for a game of Volleyball, a game of Walleyball will also take place in the racquetball court and participants can rotate between the two. Before participating, please pre-register at the Club 55+ desk and fill out a medical waiver.
- 1 indoor Volleyball court
- 1 indoor Walleyball court
- All levels of play