Become a Canton Police Officer
About Canton Police Department
Lateral Transfer Police Officer Pay:
- 1-year experience $80,172
- 2-years experience $90,742
Additional benefits include:
- Defined Benefit Pension with a 2.5% multiplier after 25 years/age 53
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- College Tuition Reimbursement
- Annual $300 Weapons Allowance
- 15 Vacation Days, Sick Time, Paid Holidays
- 12-Hour Shifts
- Relaxed Beard & Tattoo Policy
- Exterior Vest Carrier
SPECIAL UNITS AVAILABLE TO POLICE OFFICERS
The Canton Police Department is a full-time law enforcement agency currently budgeted for 100 sworn officers, with plans to increase staffing over the next several years. Canton is a community-oriented agency, providing professional police service beyond traditional enforcement.
Core Purpose / Core Values
"We deliver excellent police service to those who live, work and visit our community by deploying the most highly trained and qualified personnel in order to provide a safe and secure community.
Core Values: Professionalism, Excellence, Teamwork, Integrity, Courage
The Police Department is located in the Canton Public Safety Headquarters building, a 33,000 square foot facility that houses a premier 911 communications center, booking area, eight cell lock-up for up to 72-hour holds, investigations bureau, and administrative offices.
Canton Police Department also owns a gun range facility with outdoor targets, indoor simulation building, and classroom facility.
Canton is a 36-square mile Charter Township, located halfway between Ann Arbor and Detroit. Canton features convenient access to all major freeways including I-275, I-94, I-96, and I-696, and is just 15 minutes from Detroit Metro Airport.
Canton is a dynamic and diverse community with over 93,000 residents who enjoy a variety of dining, fitness, retail, commercial, and religious facilities. Canton's vibrant Downtown Development Authority District located along Ford Road features over 300 retail commercial and medical facilities. The community continues to grow with popular new establishments opening on a regular basis. Canton promotes
Canton's housing market consists of a variety of apartments, condominiums and single-family homes spanning across all price ranges.
Canton prides itself as being a diverse community, with individuals and families from multiple cultures making Canton their home. Canton has numerous Commissions for culture, arts & heritage to guide the growing community into a rich, inclusive community for all.
Canton has a variety of top-quality schooling
SEMCOG Community Profile
Applications are accepted several times throughout the year for the purpose of establishing eligibility lists. Please contact Canton's Human Resources Department for the current hiring status, or sign up to receive Canton Job Alerts by email.
- Not less than 18 years of age
- United States Citizenship
- Successful completion of the MCOLES mandatory basic training curriculum
- Candidates seeking reciprocity from other states may apply for the Recognition of Prior Training and Experience Program
- Applicants must have passed the MCOLES Reading & Writing test
- Applicants must have passed the MCOLES physical agility exam within the past 12 months
- Applicants must be MCOLES certified, or be MCOLES certifiable, or currently enrolled in an MCOLES approved training academy
- Applicants must possess an Associate's Degree, or completion of an Associate's Degree upon graduation from a recognized police academy
- Applicants must possess a valid Driver's License, with an acceptable driving record
Selection And Hiring Process Includes:
- Employment Application
- Applications are accepted during open posting periods
- Completed applications must be received by the posted deadline
- View Canton's current job postings
- EMPCO LETS Testing
- Candidates must have successfully completed EMPCO LETS testing within the past 12 months as of the time Selection Questionnaires are screened
- View information on EMPCO LETS testing
- Oral Board
- Candidates that successfully complete the application, questionnaire and testing will be invited to an interview
- Eligibility List
- Candidates that successfully complete the Oral Board will be placed on an eligibility list
- The eligibility list is valid for 12 months, or until it is exhausted
- The eligibility list will be used to fill all vacancies that arise within the 12 month period
- Contingent Job Offer
- Comprehensive Background Check
- Psychological Evaluation
- MCOLES Pre-employment Physical and Drug Screen
- Human Resources New Hire Orientation
- Department New Hire Orientation and Training
- Field Training Officer Program / Probationary Period
- New contract posted when available Opens in New Window
Law Enforcement Links:
- EMPCO Law Enforcement Testing System Opens in New Window
- Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) - General information on how to become a law enforcement officer Opens in New Window
- Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) - Licensing Standards for Michigan Law Enforcement Officers (Effective January 2, 2017 ~ 2016 PA 289) Opens in New Window