Canton Road Construction update
The following is a list of road construction projects scheduled to take place in 2021. All Canton Road Improvement Projects are funded by a road millage passed in 2018. Canton began repairs to the roads in our community in 2019 using the funding from the approved Road Millage. The intent of the Canton Road Improvement Program is to provide flexibility year-to-year to match revenues from the millage to the prioritize projects. To view a list of completed millage projects, click here Version OptionsCanton Road Construction updateHeadline
Canton Road Improvement Projects
Updated August 31, 2021
2021 Primary Roads:
- Canton Center: Rehabilitation and repair work from Cherry Hill to Ford Road. COMPLETE.
- Sheldon Road: heavy rehabilitation work from Cherry Hill to Ford Road. Construction will involve full depth concrete repairs of the existing concrete pavement which will all be resurfaced with asphalt. This project is currently under construction with one-way SB travel only (NB is closed). Construction should be complete in a couple of weeks.
- Haggerty Road: Repairs from Michigan Avenue to Van Born. Construction started last week. There will be lane closures during the first two stages of construction, but both directions of travel (2-way) will be maintained. Later construction stages will maintain 2-way traffic with the use of a traffic regulator (flagger). This will alternate traffic flow and limit travel to one direction at a time. Expect extended delays during these stages, and plan alternate routes accordingly if necessary.
2021 Local Subdivision Match Projects:
- Century Farms
- Cherry Knoll
- Mayfair Village
- Nowland Estates
- Salem Manor
- Wilshire Estates
- Woodwind Estates
- Central Park 1
- Central Park 11
- Cobblestone Ridge
- Glengarry Village I
- Pheasant Woods
- Willow Homes
What about the potholes?
Funds generated from the road millage will not be going toward routine County or State maintenance activities (i.e. the filling of potholes, snowplowing, etc.). That work will continue to be done by Wayne County. The millage funds will be used for very specific capital projects.
2021 Wayne County Projects:
PLEASE NOTE: Any and all information will be published as soon as the County makes it available. These projects are subject to change and all questions should be directed to Wayne County by calling 313/224-7600.
- Saltz/Denton/Ridge Traffic Signal: Signal is currently under design and will be installed late this year or early in 2022.
- Cherry Hill Road (Lilley to Haggerty): Widen and HMA Resurfacing. This project is currently under construction and is being done in two phases:
- PHASE 1: Eastbound Cherry Hill will be closed. Traffic will be detoured northbound on Lilley Road to eastbound Ford Road to southbound Lotz Road ending the detour back at Cherry Hill. Please note, westbound Cherry Hill traffic will be maintained.
- PHASE 2: Westbound Cherry Hill will be closed. Traffic will be detoured northbound on to Lotz Road to westbound Ford Road to southbound Lilley Road ending the detour back at Cherry Hill. Please note, eastbound Cherry Hill traffic will be maintained. Construction is anticipated to be completed by late July. Please use caution when driving through work zones.
2021 MDOT PROJECTS:
- Revive 275: Project will include both building and improvement activities along 23.5 miles of I-275 including guardrail replacement, signal upgrades, signs, pavement markings, bridge work on 62 structures, including deck patching, epoxy overlay, deep overlay, railing patching, and curb rebuilding, deck joint and pier replacement, resealing, substructure patching, slope protection repairs, rocker alignment, steel repairs, partial painting, concrete surface coating, and approaches. This is a LARGE scale project so MDOT has developed website at https://revive275.org/. Residents should frequently visit this page to get updates on all news, closures and detours related to this project. Construction is anticipated to begin in July.
- Ford/Ridge: A traffic signal retrofit is currently underway at this intersection as well as the intersection to the east of Ford/Ridge.
- Ford Road Boulevard: The Ford Road Boulevard project is also moving forward. MDOT has awarded the contract to for the Design Consultant. Public meetings on the project will begin later this year. Information will be posted on the MODT website as it becomes available.
For up-to-date road information please follow us on Facebook at Facebook.com/CantonMSD or Twitter at Twitter.com/CantonMSD.
DDA Funded Road Improvements:
- Brookline/Elmhurst/Marlowe: Canton’s Downtown Development Authority (DDA) will be paving small potions of Brookline, Elmhurst and Marlowe from Ford Road to the DDA boundary, which is just past the commercial businesses located off of Ford Road. This project is being fully by the DDA as part of it’s plan to improve the district’s infrastructure. Paving these roads was listed as a goal in the DDA’s 2017 Master Plan. Construction is anticipated to start July 12, weather permitting, and last six weeks.
Calculate Your Estimated Additional Cost
To determine your estimated additional cost of this Road Millage, multiply your home's taxable value by .00145.
Enter your home's taxable value: $