Become a Public Safety Aide
About Canton Public Safety Aides
The Public Safety Aide (PSA) position is a non-sworn, non-certified position designed to provide professional work experience to individuals interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement. An employee in this position will be responsible for processing arrestees, performing jail duties, assisting police officers with prisoner restraint and the physical management of individuals in custody. This position will also provide administrative support to the front desk officer and perform non-peace officer duties as assigned.
Core Purpose / Core Values
"We deliver excellent police service to those who live, work and visit our community by deploying the most highly trained and qualified personnel in order to provide a safe and secure community.
Core Values: Professionalism, Excellence, Teamwork, Integrity, Courage
Canton Public Safety Aides earn a part-time hourly rate at $17.00 per hour.
PSA's interested in a career in law enforcement can be eligible for a sponsorship to the Wayne County Regional Police Academy.
The Police Department is located in the Canton Public Safety Headquarters building, a 33,000 square foot facility that houses a premier 911 communications center, booking area, eight cell lock-up for up to 72-hour holds, investigations bureau, and administrative offices.
Canton Police Department also owns a gun range facility with outdoor targets, indoor simulation building, and classroom facility.
Canton is a 36-square mile Charter Township, located halfway between Ann Arbor and Detroit. Canton features convenient access to all major freeways including I-275, I-94, I-96, and I-696, and is just 15 minutes from Detroit Metro Airport.
Canton is a dynamic and diverse community with over 93,000 residents who enjoy a variety of dining, fitness, retail, commercial, and religious facilities. Canton's vibrant Downtown Development Authority District located along Ford Road features over 300 retail commercial and medical facilities. The community continues to grow with popular new establishments opening on a regular basis. Canton promotes individual's wellness with a 95,000 square foot community recreation facility, the Summit on the Park. The community also consists of nine beautiful community parks, including a dog park, access to multiple trail systems, two golf courses, as well as multiple commercial fitness facilities.
Canton's housing market consists of a variety of apartments, condominiums and single-family homes spanning across all price ranges.
Canton prides itself as being a diverse community, with individuals and families from multiple cultures making Canton their home. Canton has numerous Commissions for culture, arts & heritage to guide the growing community into a rich, inclusive community for all.
Canton has a variety of top-quality schooling options, and houses Michigan's only multiple high school campus, Plymouth-Canton Educational Park. The campus consists of three high schools and boasts a daytime population of 6,000 students and staff.
SEMCOG Community Profile
Applications are accepted several times throughout the year for the purpose of establishing eligibility lists. Please contact Canton's Human Resources Department for the current hiring status , or sign up to receive Canton Job Alerts by email.
- Not less than 18 years of age
- United States Citizenship
- Congratulations from high school or equivalent
- Candidate must possess a valid driver's license
Selection And Hiring Process Includes:
- Employment Application
- Applications are accepted during open posting periods
- Completed applications must be received by the posted deadline
- View Canton's current job postings
- Selection Questionnaire
- Applicants will be sent a selection questionnaire to assist in the screening process. The questionnaire will be screened similar to a first-round interview
- Oral Board
- Candidates that successfully complete the application, questionnaire and testing will be invited to an interview
- Eligibility List
- Candidates that successfully complete the oral board will be placed on an eligibility list
- The eligibility list is valid for 12 months, or until it is exhausted
- The eligibility list will be used to fill all vacancies that arise within the 12 month period
- Contingent Job Offer
- Comprehensive Background Check
- Psychological Evaluation
- Human Resources New Hire Orientation
- Department New Hire Orientation and Training
- New contract posted when available Opens in New Window
Law Enforcement Links:
- EMPCO Law Enforcement Testing System Opens in New Window
- Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) - General information on how to become a law enforcement officer Opens in New Window
- Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) - Licensing Standards for Michigan Law Enforcement Officers (Effective January 2, 2017 ~ 2016 PA 289) Opens in New Window