Canton's Curbside Automated Recycling Program
All recyclables must be placed inside the cart, anything left on the side of the cart will not be picked up. Please note, carts are for recyclables only, yard waste will not be accepted inside the cart. Please continue to put yard waste in 32-gallon containers or paper yard waste bags.
All recycling carts are owned by Canton however homeowners will be responsible for the care of the cart. All reports of damage must be immediately reported to Green for Life (GFL) services at 844/464-3587. If the damage was caused by the collection vehicle or the operator, then GFL will replace the cart at no charge. If damage or theft is from any other cause, the resident will be responsible for replacement.
OPT OUT WAIVER - If you wish to opt out of the service you can download the waiver (PDF). Once completed please mail it or drop it off at Canton Public Works located at 4847 Sheldon Road, just south of Michigan Avenue. Once the waiver is completed, please allow two-weeks for collection of the cart. Since the carts are owned by the township, Canton will store the cart until the property changes ownership or the service is desired. Please note, waiving this service WILL NOT reduce the annual fee. Residents who do opt out are welcome to bring recyclables (during Canton Clean-up) to the GFL facility on Van Born Road.
Please make sure all items are empty and rinsed of any food residue before placing in the cart.
- Household Plastics #1 through #7 (empty containers only)
- Newspaper, Magazines and Catalogs (remove bags, strings and rubber bands)
- Paper Milk or Juice Cartons (empty cartons only)
- Junk Mail and Office Paper
- Cardboard and Paper Bags (flatten cardboard and cut into pieces. All cardboard must be placed in the cart. Anything outside of the cart will not be accepted. No wax coated paperboard)
- Non-wax Coated Paperboard (if you're not sure if the paperboard is wax coated, run your finger nail down the side of the box. If wax comes off it can NOT go inside the cart)
- Phone Books
- Aluminum, Steel and Tin Cans (empty cans only)
- Clear and Colored Glass (empty containers only)
Please DO NOT contaminate the recycling cart with any of the following items.
- Textiles - cloths, rugs, pillows, bedsheets are not accepted in the cart. Simple Recycling will accept these items. For more information on Simple Recycling visit: https://simplerecycling.com/
- Chip bags - these are made from mixed materials that can't be separated during the recycling process.
- No bagged recycling or garbage. Please place all recyclables loosely into the cart.
- Wood flooring or any other building material
- Hazardous waste - all chemical containers need to be taken to a hazardous waste collection.
- Tanglers such as cords, hoses or ties
- Tissue paper or paper towel
- Pizza Boxes
- Plastic Bags
- Shredded Paper
- Wire Hangers
- Window Panes
- Pyrex Dishware
- Yard Waste
- Food Waste
- Electronic Waste
- Paint, Pesticides, Oil and Cleaners
- Waxed Cardboard
- Needles or Syringes
- Propane Tanks