After being closed for over 30 months, the newly reconstructed Lilley Road Bridge is now open to traffic. On hand to commemorate the bridge re-opening with Canton Supervisor Pat Williams were Wayne County Executive Warren Evans, Wayne County Commissioner Melissa Daub, and Wayne County Director of Public Services Beverly Watts.
The former bridge, on Lilley Road north of Michigan Avenue, was closed in April, 2017 due to safety concerns. County officials cited weakened steel support beams and a badly deteriorated concrete deck. After closer inspection, engineers concluded that the historic structure could not be saved and would have to be completely rebuilt.
The bridge earned a spot on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999 for the way it was designed and built. According to historical documents, the bridge was built in 1923 on Telegraph Road, but was moved when Telegraph was widened. The bridge was moved to Lilley Road in 1933.
Pictured left to right: Canton Municipal Services Director Jade Smith, Former Canton Supervisor Phil LaJoy, Wayne County Executive Chief of Staff Assad Turfe, Wayne County Director of Public Services Beverly Watts, Wayne County Commissioner Melissa Daub, Canton Clerk Michael Siegrist, Canton Supervisor Pat Williams, Wayne County Executive Warren Evans, Canton Trustee Anne Marie Graham-Hudak, Canton Treasurer Dian Slavens, Canton Trustee Sommer Foster, Canton Chamber of Commerce President Thomas Paden, and Canton Trustee Steve Sneideman.